Whats For Dinner Next Week: Southwest White Bean Stew

Come on in this house, it is so cold outside, sit right down and get warm here by the fire. I'll get you some hot coco and a piece of spice cake. I am just finishing my menu for next week. We have had so much rich food through the holidays I am ready for something very simple and easy.

The Feature Recipe 
on Sunday
Southwest White Bean Stew


Whats For Dinner Next Week: Southwest White Bean Stew

Sunday
Southwest White Bean Stew
Green Tossed Salad
Corn Bread
From Last Springs Blackberry Harvest
Hot Blackberry Cobbler

Monday
Turkey Delight Casserole
Mixed Fruit Salad
Hot Biscuits
Left Over Blackberry Cobbler

Tuesday
From Miz Helen's Kitchen Table Cook Book
Meatloaf
Mashed Garlic Potatoes
Steamed Peas and Carrots
Cottage Bread
Baked Apples with Vanilla Sauce

Wednesday
Ham Salad
Link: Ham Salad
in 
Lettuce Cups
Asparagus Soup
Seasoned Pita Chips
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Thursday
Herb Crusted Chicken Breast
Wild Rice
Steamed Broccoli with Lemon Sauce
Individual Garlic Loaves
Individual Cheese Cake Cups
 with
Blackberry Sauce

Friday
Make Your Own
Taco Bar
Salsa
Southwest Brulee

Saturday
Broiled Sirloin Steak
Baked Potato
Green Tossed Salad
Garlic Bread
Lemon Pie

Southwest White Bean Stew

Whats For Dinner Next Week: Southwest White Bean Stew

A Great Slow Cooker Stew

Southwest White Bean Stew
Miz Helen's Kitchen
1 pound bag Great Northern Dry Navy Beans
2 14 ounce cans  Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies Medium or Hot
1 large onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
Option: 1 ham hock or 2 cups ham chopped

  • Sort through the beans making sure all the beans are good. Rinse the beans well. 
  • Bring the dry beans to a rolling boil in 8 cups of water. Boil for 2 minutes, cover and take off heat. 
  • Let the beans sit covered for 1 hour. 
  • Pour the beans and water (making sure you have 8 cups of water) into a slow cooker.
  • Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes and green chilies. 
  • If you are adding the ham hock or chopped ham add it to the slow cooker at this time.
  • Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3 hours. 
  • At the end of the cooking time add the salt, pepper cumin and cilantro.
  • Simmer for 20 minutes to allow the seasons to set.
Whats For Dinner Next Week: Southwest White Bean Stew
 Add A Nice Slice of Hot Corn Bread and Enjoy!

I am very glad that you stopped by today. I sure hope that you will be here on January 6, 2011 for the first day of Full Plate Thursday. Pick up your invitation and your badge on my side bar go to The Red Plate. Just bring a dish and come on over...You take care and come back real soon!
May God Bless and keep you in 2011! Happy New Year!
Peace and Joy


























Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. Mmm...delicious-sounding as always. And I'll definitely be coming to visit a lot in 2011 Miz Helen. I'm glad you were cheered by my post this morning. Have a great New Year's Day!

    Kristi @
    Veggie Converter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just put the new badge on my blog, I will be there on Thursday, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bean stew sounds great and so does most of the menu.

    i'll be back to see the full plates

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything sounds delicious! I am looking forward to trying many more of your recipes this year! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! That soup looks really good! Thanks for sharing! The ham salad sounds like soething my boys would like too!

    www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad I can't scratch and sniff these amazing delicious food photos of yours!! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, your menu is awesome!! Everything sounds so good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit that my family loves it when they see taco bar night on the menu so they'd wholly approve of your Friday night menu. I'm really interested in the southwest brulee because I love butternut squash and am always looking for new things to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the ham hock in your white bean soup! That's comfort food in my house! Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop this week. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Southwestern Bean Stew sound delicious and just the right thing to counteract the cold weather we are in the midst of here in the midwest.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love soup on cold winter days and this one looks great! (And I'm pretty sure there's a ham hock in my freezer.) Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love bean soup! My grandmother and my mom made it all the time when I was a child, along with homemade biscuits. As much as I enjoyed it I never learned how to make it for myself. Thanks so much for showing me how!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, Miz Helen. Love beans, especially white beans. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You'd better watch out, Miz Helen. When you say that you're serving a meal with beans and ham hocks, you're in danger of having me show up on your doorstep with an empty bowl and a sheepish grin on my face :)

    Thank you for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious! Thanks for joining me for CPW. I'm looking forward to what you have to say this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What's the code for the badge? I could not get it to come up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great! I love bean stews and I'm always looking for new recipes, so thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love soups like this - its one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This recipe sounds delicious! I love good bean soups and the green chilies make it even better. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen