Fresh Stewed Okra and Tomatoes

We have certainly had a bountiful harvest from our garden this year. One of the dishes that I love to prepare from the garden is Fresh Okra and Tomatoes.  This is  a delicious dish that can be served by itself or to top a small bowl of rice.  I even sometimes use it as a base for soup.

Fresh Stewed Okra and Tomatoes



Fresh Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
Miz Helen's Kitchen
3 cups fresh Tomatoes, skinned and chopped with the juice
2 cups fresh Okra, chopped
1 large onion, chopped medium chop
3 strips bacon, cut in 1 inch strips
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 tablespoon fennel seed
Brown the bacon in a large saucepan and add the onion cook over medium heat until the onion is clear
Add the tomatoes and juice, okra and all the spice
If the mixture is too thick, then add 3/4 cup water or vegetable broth
Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low heat 
Cook on low heat for 20 minutes until Okra is tender
Recipe Tip
This is great served on rice or as a base for a fresh summer soup

 Skin The Fresh Tomatoes

Brown The Bacon and Add The Onions

Add The Tomatoes and The Okra

Enjoy!

I sure hope that you enjoy this garden fresh dish as much as we do. I am so happy that you stopped by to visit with us today, I always enjoy your visits and hope you will come back soon!




Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. Looks delicious! This is right down my alley...just sliced up some okra and tomatoes out of the garden last night and this is what I am making too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have that from your garden! This dish would certainly go over well in these parts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure sounds good and is very colorful-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! So colourful! I want to start cooking okra at home, but didn't know how other than serving it deep fried. This is a much healthier option!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so delicious. I can only imagine how good it is over rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful, healthy, and tasty dish! Wish I had a bite of that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good. I have to admit I have never tried okra. Now I'm curious. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing at The Gathering Spot Miz Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious , tomato and okra goes well together, thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop. I am highlighting this recipe on Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dish is entirely new to me. I love the idea of cooking okra with tomatoes. This is a great way to enjoy ocra without all the batter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen