Southwest Spoon Bread

Spoon Bread is a great old southern bread that is often times used as a dessert or a starch side dish. I love a spoon bread it is crisp on top with a nice soft inside. When I decided to develop this Southwest Spoon Bread I wanted it to be full of flavor but maintain that same crisp with a soft inside. I believe my goal was reached. I hope you enjoy it.
Southwest Spoon Bread

The Recipe
Onions, Garlic, Pepper Jack Cheese, Longhorn Cheese
Chicken Stock, Milk, Corn Meal
Adding The Cheese, Green Chili's, Cilantro and Maple Syrup
Fold In The Egg Whites
Enjoy!

Southwest Spoon Bread
Miz Helen's Kitchen
Serves 8
1 medium onion chopped
6 cloves garlic minced
2 cups Milk
2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 1/2 cups Pepper Jack Cheese shredded
21/2 cups Longhorn ( or sharp cheddar) Cheese shredded
1 cup green chili's chopped
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons Cilantro fresh or dried
6 egg yolks beaten
6 egg whites beaten stiff to peak
In a large saucepan add, onion, garlic, milk and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and very slowly add the cornmeal stirring constantly. Stirring constantly cook on medium heat until mixture becomes thick and stiff, take off the heat and pour into large mixing bowl. Add the cheese, green chili's, salt, cilantro and maple syrup. Mix well until all the ingredients are blended well. Pour a little of the cornmeal mixture into the egg yolks to temper the eggs and mix, then pour the egg yolks into the cornmeal mixture and mix well. Place 1/3 of the egg whites in the cornmeal mixture and fold in 1/3 of the egg whites at a time until they have all been incorporated  into the cornmeal mixture. Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with oil. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. 
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes and 325 for 1 hour uncovered.
Serve warm or cold
Recipe Tip: This recipe can be served as a dessert or a side dish. It freezes well.

We are sure glad that you stopped by to try out our new recipe this evening. I have boxed some up for you to take home with you so don't forget it. We always enjoy your visit so come back to see us real soon!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen
This Post Is Linked To:
Foodie Friday
Fat Camp Friday
Friday Potluck 
Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. I have never heard of it before but it looks very appetizing! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me! I'll be by shortly ~ :-)

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh this looks amazing...gonna have to give this one a try....love love love spoon bread

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome. I had a spoonbread once and loved it but I have never found a recipe that was like it. This could be the closest I have come yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a great complete meal!! Fantastic flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe sounds so amazing... I bookmarked it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love regular Spoonbread but this sounds fabulous. It will be on my table in the next couple of days. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful!! Thanks again for featuring my loaded baked potato salad on Full Plate Thursday last week :-)
    I have a linky post up now asking for help to create a nice slow cooker recipe index. I'd love it if you'd come on over and add your slow cooker recipes if you have some posted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love spoonbread! That looks delicious! I haven't made it in a longtime, thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miz Helen, you are one busy lady in that kitchen of yours! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious! I have never heard of Spoon Bread before, this is something new to me! And I would not mind having some of this, looks absolutely good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That recipe looks like a keeper to me! I love anything that even resembles corn bread. Have you ever had corn bread salad? I've been a fan ever since I had it at a church lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful variation on a favorite! I love the kick you added with the chiles and pepper Jack cheese. I bet it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG...love, love, love!! Esp. the chili & maple syrup combo! Can not WAIT to try, Miz Helen:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Living in the south I have heard of spoon bread, but never made it. This will go on my things to try list. Thanks for linking this up to Fat Camp Fridays this week! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh yum!! Looks so good!!!
    ~Terry

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at the list of cheese and green chilies

    Oh My Word...this looks so filling & yummy.

    Thanks for always being supportive of my blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Southwest anything! This looks so good, I would probably eat the whole dish. What a fun side dish to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmmmmmm, I'm craving it now, thank you very much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That looks divine! MUST HAVE SOME!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Come and SEE WHO made my TOP 3 On Made it on Monday!...YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen