Beat The Winter Blues: Herb Roasted Chicken With Winter Vegetables

Sometimes when there is snow piled on the ground and the whole world is grey we get a little bit blue.  There is no better way to beat the winter blues than to warm the house with the great aroma of a chicken roasting in the oven, it is good for the heart and soul.  We are making a Herb Roasted Chicken with Winter Vegetables to beat those winter blues.
Herb Roasted Chicken with Winter Vegetables


The Aroma Is Amazing

Chop All The Vegetables


Roast and Enjoy!

Herb Roasted Chicken With Winter Vegetables
Miz Helen's Kitchen
1 2 1/2 to 3 pound Fryer Chicken
2 Yellow medium Onions quartered
1 garlic bulb
3 Celery Stalks with the leaves chopped
4 Carrots chopped
4 Irish Potatoes skin on quartered
3 Turnips quartered
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 teaspoons Salt
2 teaspoons Pepper
4 teaspoons Thyme
4 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary or 4 teaspoons dried Rosemary
1 cup water
Wash the chicken inside and out very good. With the olive oil rub the chicken all over back and front. Take the whole garlic pods from the bulb skin on and put 1/2 of them in the cavity of the Chicken.  Insert the short steams with the leaves from the celery into the cavity of the Chicken. Sprinkle the oiled Chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, 11/2 teaspoons pepper and 2 teaspoons thyme. Toss the quartered onion, chopped celery, chopped carrots, quartered Irish Potatoes, and quartered Turnips with the remainder of the salt, pepper and thyme.

Place the vegetables into the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish, place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Place the remainder of the garlic pods around the top of the vegetables.  Add the rosemary springs or the dried rosemary to the top of the vegetables.

Pour 1 cup water around the edge of the pan so you don't wash off the seasons. 
Place the baking dish in the oven do not cover.
Roast at 425 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Check at 1 hour as oven temperatures vary.

The Chicken will be a beautiful golden brown and very moist on the inside. The Vegetables will be very tender but not to soft. There will be a very nice sauce that will form in the bottom of the pan.
I suggest that you serve this with a nice toasted bread and just open the garlic pods and spread it on the bread.

You might take the left overs and make a wonderful Chicken and Vegetable soup, just chop and add Chicken Broth. That's what I am going to do. It's on my menu for tomorrow.
Print Recipe 

Thank you for stopping by today, don't you want to take off your coat and stay awhile, we will have some of that Herb Roasted Chicken with Winter Vegetables, it is always better shared with a friend. 
Stay Warm and come back soon!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen
This Post Is Linked To












Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. Talk about comfort food, this is it. I love that you use turnip, one of my favorite vegetables. I think this will be Wednesday night supper.

    Lets all pray for our friends in the path of this awful storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any dinner cooked this way! I call it "pot roast style" but most folks think of beef, and not the pan it is cook in! Have a great day Miz Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, this is worth rushing home to devour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you manage to get through that storm alright. I know it's supposed to be a doozy! THis chicken looks so good. I just love a good roasted chicken and yours really fits the bill!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just looks so beautiful! I can only imagine how it smelled while roasting. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have it cooking right now- nothing like a huge winter storm and a mouth watering herb roasted chicken to start off the Winter Blues Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This just remain me that I have one of those fryer chicken in the fridge. It will be good for a SUnday dinner with all those veggies. A whole meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. with so many herbs.. i bet it was finger licking tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks sooo good, Miz Helen! I have got to figure out a way to roast a chicken in my toaster oven. I think since I'm in New England now and parsnips are plentiful that I might substitute those for turnips. I love turnips but my husband is not such a fan. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks sooooo good. Thanks for sharing. We have a recipe up too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely one of my favorite meals. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is nothing like a good roast chicken, and your recipe sounds scrumptious, Miz Helen. Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going grocery shopping in the morning, and making this for dinner tomorrow night! xo
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I finally got a chance to make this last Sunday. My hubby is still talking about it! The chicken was juicy, the veggies were the perfect side...just downright delicious! This one is a keeper..thanks so much for sharing. Hugs. Patsy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen