Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cranberry Rice Dressing

I am happy that you were able to stop by today to pick up your recipe for the Cranberry Rice Dressing. I served this dish with Cornish Game Hens and it was a great combination. When I was developing this recipe I wanted a more economical product than wild rice as it is very expensive here in my area. I am sure that the recipe would be good with Wild Rice, but I used the brown rice this time.
Cranberry Rice Dressing



Saute The Vegetables
Cranberry Rice Dressing
2 cups brown rice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for the vegetables
1/4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for the rice
1 tablespoon butter for the rice
6 green onions chopped fine
2 stalks celery chopped fine
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 cups fresh mushrooms chopped fine
1/2 cup roasted almonds chopped
2 cups dried cranberries
2 cups Cran-Pomegranate Juice
3 cups Chicken Broth
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoon thyme

  • Chop the green onions, celery, garlic, mushrooms and almonds. In a hot skillet add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and saute the vegetables adding the dried cranberries. 
  • After the vegetables and cranberries have been sauteed add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon thyme and stir until mixed well. Set aside while you prepare the rice. 
  • In a hot heavy dutch oven pour 1/4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter add the rice. Brown the rice until slightly brown stir constantly so as not to burn the rice. 
  • When it is browned add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon thyme, and the liquid bring to a boil, and cover then reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes. 
  • Add the sauteed vegetable mix and stir well, there will be extra liquid at this point that has not been absorbed by the rice. 
  • Cover the dutch oven and bake 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Print Recipe
 Served With Cornish Game Hen

We just loved this dish Leonard couldn't get enough of it. I really hope that you and your family enjoy this as much as we did. Thanks so much for stopping by. I always look forward to your visit's.
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen
Holiday Treats
Friday Pot Luck
Recipe Swap Thursday
This weeks Cravings












11 comments:

  1. ahhh cornish hens a fall favorite. Can't wait to try this recipe looks very earthy and crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love almost anything with cranberries...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog. Your food looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks beautiful! Thanks so much for visiting my blog, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - that looks awesome - never mind "dressing" - I could just eat a huge bowl of that all on its own.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and your lovely comments - I always enjoy your visits :-)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    The looks awesome with cranberries...wow..:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up to This Week's Cravings! We hope you come back next week for "Thanksgiving Left-Overs"

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds lovely and it looks so delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fantastic! I love anything with cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love brown rice, it's the only rice we ever use. And Cran-Pomegranate juice is the best! What a delicious dish this must be. I love all the flavour combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this sounds like a delicious side dish. I love the tart taste of cranberries and the color they lend to your dish is so eye catching.

    ReplyDelete

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...