Summer Pickles

Summer Pickles at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Posted by Picasa

It is so good to see you again. Did you see my cucumber vines on the fence? Come on in and lets have a glass of ice cold peach tea.

We did an experiment with some of our cucumber vines this year. We planted them next to the fence so they could vine up on the fence. They have done so well, that next year I plan on planting all of the cucumbers along the fence line. Not only has it given a great cover for the fence, we have had better production of the cucumbers.

One of my favorite summertime pickles recipes is "The Pickle Pot". There is still time for you to start your Pickle Pot and enjoy it through the holidays. Go to the link below and get the recipe.


Summer Pickles at Miz Helen's Country Cottage 
Posted by Picasa
I usually make several pints of Dill Pickles, Sweet Pickles, Sweet Hot Pickles, Okra Pickles, Beet Pickles and Mustard Pickles. The Mustard Pickles are our favorite. That is the pickle people always ask me to give them at Christmas time.


Summer Pickles at Miz Helen's Country Cottage 
Posted by Picasa

Mustard Pickles
30 medium cucumbers
10 medium onions
4 tablespoons salt
Slice cucumbers and onions and sprinkle with salt
Let stand 1 hour
Drain in a cheesecloth
Mix the following spiced vinegar
5 cups white vinegar
2 tablespoons celery seed
2 teaspoons ground ginger
4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons mustard seed
Bring the vinegar mix to a boil, add the cucumbers and onions and bring back to boil.
Simmer 10 minutes
Pack into hot sterilized jars. Process 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
Remember to listen for the pop of the lid in the cooling process to make sure you have a good seal on the jar.
Happy Canning!

I am so happy that you stopped by to have tea with me today, now don't forget your basket of cucumbers. Come back soon!

Peace and Joy
Miz Helen







Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. yummy yummy pickles....I love pickles. Can't wait for chow chow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually wondering when you were going to start talking about chow chow too. Your mustard pickles sound fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Miz Helen, I have tried to make pickles before with not much luck. So I have a couple of questions. What kind of cucumbers do you plant to use for pickles? I have heard people suggest use of english cucumbers in certain recipes (not necessarily for pickles) but I am not familiar with those. Are these pickles similar to Bread and Butter Pickles? One last question in the recipe do you use regular table salt or canning salt for your pickles. I am enjoying your posts. Thank you for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Girlfirend Gap...
    To answer your questions about the cucumbers and pickles,
    1. I like to plant a cucumber called "straight 8"
    and some of the burpless are ok. There is a seed pack that is pickling cucumbers or good for pickling. For a sweet pickle you need a 2 to 4 inch cucumber. Dill pickle need to be from 4 to 6 inch. The bread and butter pickles that you see in the picture were made from "straight 8" seed. The recipe for Bread and Butter Pickles can be used with any cucumber even the one that you find at the grocery store right now.
    2. Always use canning salt anytime you are canning anything.
    I hope I was able to answer your questions.
    Just get you some cucumbers and jars and make those pickles...they will be great!
    I am so glad you stopped in to see me today, I love getting to share a lifetime of experience.
    Come back soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey miz nana haha! ;) I love you and your wonderful cooking skills thank you for teaching so much wonderful things u cook there delicious!! Remember!! I still very much want your cook book! Love u!

    With love,
    Stephanie anne long

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miz Stephanie, You are so sweet to visit me on my blog. I am very touched by your comment. You know that I have a cookbook for you and your sister. I can hardly wait for you to come visit me again and we will cook and put the pictures on the blog. What shall we cook? You think about it and let me know.
    I love You dear sweet Stephanie,
    Nana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen