The Pickle Pot

 

The Pickle Pot at Miz Helen's Country Cottage 
In the beginning of the cucumber harvest we start the Pickle Pot
 I remember when I was a little girl going to my Mother's refrigerator and taking a bowl of pickles from 
The Pickle Pot. 

The Pickle Pot at Miz Helen's Country Cottage 
Posted by Picasa

I don't ever remember a summer when I didn't have a Pickle Pot in my refrigerator.We always have a bowl of pickles from the Pickle Pot for our lunch or dinner. There are pickles for relish, burger's, salads, and the vinegar is heavenly used as a salad dressing.

Pickle Pot
A large glass container is best, but plastic is ok.

Fill the container half full with sliced cucumbers

The slices can be different sizes that is what makes the Pickle Pot fun.

Fill 1/4 of the container with white onion slices.

Salt the cucumbers and onions very well and mix together.

Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of pickle spice to taste.

Pour White Vinegar over the cucumber and onion mixture just until barely covered.

Fill the remainder of the container with water.

Let your Pickle Pot set for 1 week in the refrigerator before using.

You can add to the Pickle Pot all summer, just keep chopping cucumbers and adding salt. From time to time you may have to add more vinegar and water.

The Pickle Pot
Miz Helen's Kitchen
1 Quart Glass Container
1 yellow onion sliced
3 cloves garlic
3 cups cucumber slices
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons pickling  spice
White Vinegar to cover onions and pickles
Water to add to Vinegar
In a clean GLASS  container begin to layer with sliced onions, then sliced cucumbers. Sprinkle the top with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 pod of garlic. Repeat the layer and add 1 tablespoon of the pickling spice. Repeat the layer again ending with the last tablespoon of pickling spice and the remainder of the salt. Fill the container 3/4 of the way full with vinegar and 1/4 with water until the cucumbers and onions are completely covered. Seal the jar tightly and shake up and down to distribute the seasons. Place in the refrigerator for 2 weeks before serving, (if you can wait that long). As the Pickle Pot empties just add more cucumbers and onions and your Pickle Pot is always full all summer long.

Let me know how you enjoy your Pickle Pot. Make a memory!

Peace and Joy
Miz Helen
 This Post Is Linked To:
Pickle Pot Dressing









Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. I love your pickle pot! They were so darn good. I'm off to make my own - just picked up some pickling spice. Joe told me that he wants a pickle pot, too, so you know your pickles must be a hit.

    Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm...can't wait. A week feels like a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIPEE!!!!! I love "pot" I mean the pickle pot of course this is a mainstay yummy, yummy you have to go and make one trust me you will not be dissappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always LOVED the pickle pot growing up!!! Super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering!!!!

    Love you!!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog through Amy Green. Love this idea! I just planted cucumbers about a month ago for a fall crop - totally gonna have a pickle pot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helen - I found you through Amy too. I really would love a pickle pot! How long does it last? I've never heard of this before - it sounds so easy! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tasty Eats At Home
    I hope you enjoy your Pickle Pot...let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maggie
    The Pickle Pot will last about 3 months. By that time you would need to empty it out and start over. Let me know how it turns out for you.
    Thanks for stopping by and you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just so you know...Joe insisted that I make a second pickle pot so that he can have pickles without having to wait. So, now we have two. He's already finished off the first one. :) Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One can never have to many "Pickle Pot's", I told Leonard that Joe has his own "Pickle Pot" and guess who wants his own "Pickle Pot"...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pickle pot sounds very interesting! I would like to give it a try, I notice that your pickle doesn't use any sugar! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's really interesting idea to cut cucumber in different pieces.
    Even more interesting idea, that you may add new and new cucumbers. My pickles I must put into small jars, because everything what we open and don't eat duringa week gets wrong sour. Another type of pickle, which never gets wrong sour and may be eatable for all winter is done without vinegar, with salt only.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dalia,
    I really hope that you will visit The Cottage again and tell us about your pickles that you preserve with only salt. That sounds so interesting.
    Thank you for your comment

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed the discovery of your blog today after you left a comment. I just bookmarked your pickle pot instructions so I can find them again next summer. I have started a bowl of sliced cucumbers in my refrigerator and kept it for a few weeks, but your directions are great. I also like the dressing you posted. I'll have to try these next year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you still have cucmbers in your garden? We put whole cucumbers into some pot together with leaves of horseradish, garlic, leaves of cherry and leaves of black cucumber, and most important - the whole plant of dill (except roots, of course). You may skip any other leaves, but dill is absolutely necessary. We add salty water (1 spoon of salt per 1 liter). Water must cover all content, but as they are willing to flow, we put a plate to cover everything, and clean washed stone on the plate for the press. After few days water becomes sour and cucumbers get pickled taste. It is old fashioned way of pickling. In cool place cucumbers stay good for the whole winter. They are especialy good for salads and soup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dalia,
    Thank you so very much for your pickle recipe. I am so excited that you responded. Yes I do still have cucumber on a few vines and I can't wait to try this method. I will try and let you know how it comes out.
    Thank you again, you are very kind to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Helen, put different leaves on the bottom of pot, then put cucumbers and then leaves again. If you have many cucumbers, repeat that in layers. Leaves on the top.
    There are two methods of pouring water. If you want to get taste very soon (after a day or two), pour hot water, but not boiled, just hot.
    If you want to preserve for winter, use cold water. The process will be slower then.
    Don't get scared, if after about a week you will find some mold on surface of the liquid- it is not dangerous type. But of course doesn't look nice. So usualy after some time we put pickled cucumbers into jars, boil the liquid, (which is cloudy) and pour over. Leaves we don't need anymore. If you try, I am really curious, how everything will come out and how will you like it. I will share the recipe of the soup with these pickled cucumbers then.
    I find your blog really interesting and have looked many items, I just not always leave a comment. We are told, that americans don't grow vegetables, don't make any preserves for winter and rarely cook at home, I am glad to find out, that that is not true.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Starting the summer pickle pot.....whaa hooo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen