Baked Sandwich

I was having a very informal luncheon for some of my oldest friends recently and a couple of them ask if I would make my Baked Sandwich. I thought that was a great idea, and then I decided to share it with all of you. The Baked Sandwich is often times requested from family and friends as one of their favorites. It is a great dish to make for a small gathering, it can be made the day before and cooked right before the guest arrive, it is a hot dish to serve that you don't have to be in the kitchen with, but rather can be spending time with your guest. One of the nice features to this sandwich is that you can freeze it up to 3 months, just reheat it and it's as good as freshly made. I will often times freeze it in individual portions, for those times when just one or two people need a quick lunch.

Baked Sandwich

Baked Sandwich at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Baked Sandwich
Miz Helen's Kitchen
Ingredients
16 slices of cooked Turkey or chicken, sliced thinly
16 slices of cooked Ham, sliced thinly
16 slices of Swiss Cheese, sliced thinly
12 slices of bread, crust removed
5 eggs
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon butter plus enough butter to butter one side of each slice of bread
2 cups cream of celery soup
Directions 
Butter a 9X13 baking dish
Cut the crust from the bread and butter one side of each slice of bread
Layer 6 slices of the butter bread in the baking dish, butter side up
Layer 8 slices of the turkey or chicken
Layer 8 slices of the ham
Layer 8 slices of the Swiss Cheese
Next, layer 8 slices of turkey or chicken
Layer 8 slices of ham
Layer 8 slices Swiss Cheese
Last Layer, 6 slices of the bread, butter side up
Beat the eggs, milk until blended well.  
Add the salt and pepper to the eggs and milk mix well.
Pour the eggs and milk over the top layer of the butter bread
Cover with plastic wrap.
Refrigerate overnight.
To Bake: uncover and bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hour.
Heat the soup.
Let the sandwich set for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Serve with the soup drizzled over the top.
Enjoy!
Layers of Turkey or Chicken


Baked Sandwich at Miz Helen's Country Cottage


Layer of Ham

Baked Sandwich at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Repeat The Layers Ending With The Buttered Side Of The Bread
Pour The Egg and Milk Over The Sandwich
Refrigerate Overnight
Bake The Next Day


Baked Sandwich at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Bake

Baked Sandwich at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Served Without The Soup Garnish

Baked Sandwich at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Served With The Soup Garnish

Baked Sandwich at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Enjoy!

Baked Sandwich at Miz Helen's Country Cottage



I enjoyed having lunch with you today and am so happy you could join us. If you are making this recipe for a small gathering or for a couple of people I sure hope you enjoy it. Have a great week and come back to see us real soon!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen


Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. That looks wonderful!! It would be such a hit in my house!! Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! Wish I could reach in there right now and grab one…yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure looks tempting. I'm not allowed to eat it (religious reasons) but It looks very appetizing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try this one. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miz Helen,
    I've never seen anything like this before. It's such a great idea for a group. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds soooo good, I just love cream of celery soup anyway and over a sandwich, wow!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a baked sandwich for a crowd. What a fabulous idea.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be great for a crowd...nice! Pinning it!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandmother used to make us something similar! I'd forgotten all about it until I saw your post! I'm pinning and making this! Thank you so much!!! Looks delicious! Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks a perfect make ahead and just bake when we get back from the kids football at the weekend. Thank you for sharing!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, YUM! This would be a winner at my house. Thanks for the recipe. Visiting from The Scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! This looks like something I would really enjoy - and love that you can freeze and reheat in individual portions; great for lunch at work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I look forward to trying this recipe! We are sandwich fans and I think this will wow my family! Thanks for sharing at the #partyontheporch. Have a super week. Blessings, D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think my family would enjoy this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miz Helen, you just solved my boring lunches for the kids this summer! I can't wait to give this a try. Thanks for sharing each week on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea for a crowd. Sure beats making individual sandwiches. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Boy does that look good! You have made me very hungry!
    Thanks for sharing your recipes each week at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy.
    I look forward to sharing my recipes again with you soon once life calms down a bit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks incredible! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds delicious. Is the 2 cups of soup measured as the thick condensed right out of the can, or thinned with the usual amount of milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail,
      I did not use milk to thin the soup, I just heat it straight from the can. Sure hope you enjoy the Baked Sandwich and thanks so much for stopping by!
      Miz Helen

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much. I'm sure I (and my friends) will enjoy this sandwich a lot!

      Delete
  21. How cool, it's a sandwich lasagna. Thanks for bringing it to foodie friday. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Baked Sandwich recipe sounds delicious! =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this idea!! YUM!

    Pinned and scheduled to share on FB later today!!!

    Hugs from Freedom Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a luscious recipe. It caught our attention at Weekend Potluck's party and is one of our features this week. Congrats! Thanks so much for sharing your delightful dishes with us. Hope to see you at the party today!

    ReplyDelete
  25. YUM! I would be requesting this lunch too if I was coming over :) Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a great idea. I know my family will enjoy this when I add it ti next weeks menu. They will be happy with something new.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fabulous idea. This reminds me of an easier monte cristo. Has anyone tried jelly instead of the soup? I'm thinking of paring this with a mimosa for brunch bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These were great everyone loved it. The only thing I did different was make homemade tomato soup. And we topped it with that. Definitely a keeper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle,
      I am so happy that you and your family loved the Baked Sandwich. Your Homemade Tomato Soup sounds like a wonderful addition, I will have to try that. Thanks so much for sharing and stopping by!
      Miz Helen

      Delete
  29. This is a good idea with the soup! There is another recipe for hosting called the Italian Bake and it is the same only you also use salami and I think roasted red peppers and no soup. Was very good but next time I'd use mozzarella on that one! Will try this soon! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen