Rancher Beans

Pinto Beans are a staple in our home, they are one of the foods that we actually have on our menu at least once every two weeks. Pinto's will often times show up at the local pot luck dinners, and are on the menu at all the local restaurants. In my husbands childhood home, there was always a pot of pinto beans simmering on the back burner in the ranch house kitchen, ready for the ranch hands to come to the kitchen and help themselves to the beans and tortillas or cornbread. We have many different ways that we prepare the Pinto's and this recipe for Rancher Beans is one of our favorites.



Rancher Beans

Rancher Beans at Miz Helen's Country Cottage


Rancher Beans
Miz Helen's Kitchen
Ingredients
2 pounds dried pinto beans
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped or
1 small piece of salt pork
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
dash Cayenne Pepper, to taste
Directions
Pick the dried pinto's making sure all the bad beans are discarded, wash the beans
Pour the beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water leaving a good 2 inches covering the beans
Let the covered beans sit over night
Drain the beans
In a heavy large pot saute the bacon or salt pork with the onions and peppers, add the seasons and stir well
Add the soaked and drained pinto beans and stir all the ingredients until mixed well
Cover the bean mixture with about an inch of water, and bring to a boil
Stir well and reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 2 hours until beans are tender
Be sure and check the water level during the cooking process adding more water if you need to
Reduce heat to simmer and enjoy!
Print Recipe

Soak The Pinto's

Rancher Beans at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Cook The Beans

Rancher Beans at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Enjoy!

Rancher Beans at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

We enjoy these Rancher Beans with a pan of hot cornbread or some homemade tortilla's. A pot of these beans can make the whole meal or a great side dish. It was so nice to spend some time with you today and come back to see us real soon!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen

Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. Yummm .. thats delicious . I am gonna come home for dinner tonight :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect dish for this kind of weather :)
    Without the bacon though for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love beans and this recipe looks delicious! I will admit, I usually resort to making our baked beans with a variety of canned beans as opposed to dry. I always seem to forget about the dried option. I can't wait to give this recipe a try. Where do I find salt pork?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison,
      You can find Salt Pork in any super market or meat market in with the pork, bacon or ham. I hope you will try the dried option, they taste so much better than canned. Thanks so much for stopping by and enjoy your beans!
      Miz Helen

      Delete
  4. I love beans! I tossed a can of pinto into some leftover chili, and it really made it better than it had been before. I'm excited to give this a try now too.
    Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so many Pinto Beans.. And my Mother always made pinto beans and I took her way of cooking them. I am 66 years old and now have seen a Great New Idea to make them even Better... Yum.. I am going to make these very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man! The hubs sure would love this! Thanks for linking to the Weekend re-Treat Link Party! xo, S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love beans we have these every once in a while as they do not really like me no more. Will be trying your recipe soon
    come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't know how much I love beans, pinning and making soon. Thanks for sharing at Treasure Box Tuesday.
    Hugs,
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely comfort food! Love the warming spices in your Rancher Beans, Miz Helen. Thank you for sharing them with us at the Hearth and Soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know which I like more, making a meal of these beans or having them jazz up a main dish. Either way...yum! Thank you for sharing with See Ya in the Gumbo, Miz Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Miz Helen, I enjoyed this post so much! Of course, the beans sound fantastic, and they reminded me of when I cooked beans for the very first time as a young wife. I didn't know you were supposed to wash and sort beans, and make sure there weren't any little pebbles or such in them. After a few hours, they were done, and smelled SO good- we couldn't wait to dig in. Stirred 'em up, and dished out big bowlfuls. Bowls with grit and pebbles in them. :( We were very surprised. Then we just shrugged, let the grit settle to the bottom of the pot, then skimmed grit-free beans off the top and ate those! :) Thank you so much for sharing these at Treasure Box Tuesday! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helen, pinto beans with all these seasoning are all good. I like them almost anyway. Thanks for linking to What'd You Do This Weekend.

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed your Rancher Bean recipe that you shared at my Shine a Spotlight Linky Party this week. Perfect for my family. Pinned it! Thanks for stopping by and sharing and be sure to stop by again on Saturday. Your recipe might be one of my featured posts!—Deb at DialMforMoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love bean recipes, especially with pinto beans! This recipe looks so good. Thanks for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds good! I just realized that I've never used a recipe that called for dried beans. This recipe sounds like a good reason to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! I LOVE pinto beans - or any beans, really. I tend to think of them as Mom's beans. She always makes them with bacon and serves 'em up with a fluffy baked potato and homemade buns. This is by far one of my favorite things to eat on the planet. I used to eat em even when I was a vegetarian at Christmas as my protein.

    Amazing!!

    Thank you so much for linking up with us at Fresh Foods Wednesday! I hope you'll join us again this week with more fresh foods posts! xo, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look fabulous Miz Helen. I like them so well that I made them on of my favorite's from last week's Share Your Stuff Tuesday Party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Miz Helen, These beans look fabulous. This is right up my alley, I know I would love it. So comforting! Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pinto beans are new to me, but I love how firm they stay even after they have cooked a while. Great looking dish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen