Pfeffernusse

Pfeffernusse (Pepper Nuts), say Christmas Cookies at our cottage. When my children were very small my friend Pat and I made these little cookies together every year, it was a fun event that we always looked forward to. When I visited Germany it was wonderful to have the real Pfeffernusse from the little bakeries and to find that my friend Pat and I had been making really good cookies all these years. Our recipe has taken on more of a regional flavor but remains true to the original cookie. As the years have passed and our children are now grown with children and grandchildren, Pat and I are still making our little cookies. Although we have both moved away from the little town where we first met, every year when we make our cookies we give each other a call and say, its cookie day, I'm making the cookies today. It is a wonderful time of walking down memory lane and enjoying a friendship of over 40 years. I got to talk to Pat the other day and told her that it's cookie day!

Pfeffernusse
Little Cookies

Pfeffernusse at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Pfeffernusse
Miz Helen's Kitchen
Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup Molasses
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamon
2 1/2 teaspoons Anise Extract
1/2 cup cream
5 to 6 cups all purpose flour
Directions
In a medium sauce pan combine Molasses and butter cook on medium heat stirring until butter melts
Remove from heat and let come to room temperature
In an electric mixer bowl combine 4 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, and all spices, mix well
Add the slightly beaten egg at room temperature, Anise Extract, and cream to the butter and Molasses and mix well
Add a small amount of the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix a little at a time
Keep adding the dry ingredients until it is all combined, continue to add flour until the mixture is stiff
Cover the dough in plastic bags and chill for 2 hours
Working with a small amount of dough at a time, roll into small rolls and cut in small pieces
Lightly butter a cookie sheet and place the cookie dough pieces on the sheet
Bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes
Let cool on a sheet or board
These cookies keep in a container for several weeks, the longer they sit the better they get, but good luck with keeping them that long
It is very hard to judge how many cookies this yields, but it will be approximately 1 1/2 gallon zip lock bag full.
We have mailed these cookies to our military members through the years, they ship really well.
Enjoy your Pfeffernusee and all the precious memories! 

Split The Dough and Chill

Pfeffernusse at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Work With A Small Amount At A Time

Pfeffernusse at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Roll Little Rolls and Cut

Pfeffernusse at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

On The Cookie Sheet and Ready To Bake

Pfeffernusse at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Ready To Enjoy or Give Away

Pfeffernusse at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Enjoy With A Friend!

Pfeffernusse at Miz Helen's Country Cottage



I have really enjoyed sharing these little cookies with you today and taking a walk down memory lane to so many fabulous times through the years with a very special friend! I sincerely hope that you will be able to share your cookies with a special friend. Happy baking and come back to see me real soon!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. I'm not sure if I know these cookies, but I'd love to try them
    I'm pretty sure I'd loooooooove them, although without the anise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a recipe on Heavenly Homemakers called Pepper Nuts and they looked like this and had pepper in them. She had made them whole wheat and used sucanat. I have never heard of either of these until the other day.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of these cookies, but it sure look a must try!! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Miz Helen, What a lovely tradition. I'm glad the tradition is passed on to make these cookies.
    It is such a blessing to have a friend to share this memory of baking with.
    My mom used to make cookies that looked like these, from reading your recipe I think they were similar, though she rarely wrote a recipe down.
    I shall give these a try.
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful recipe - and I always love just staying the name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious, I have seen some recipes with touch of pepper. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you have been making these cookies for so many years and that help to you to stay in touch with a friend… this is the best part of food tradition. So neat that you got to try them in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of these cookies. Talking about a friendship for so many years, made me hope that I can have that same connection with someone for so long. We tend to have a lot of friends go in and out of our lives, but we always lose connections as we move away, etc. What a wonderful tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is almost the exact recipe I use! My Grandma (she was from Germany) made these many years ago and she gave me the recipe and now I make them:) Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  10. What sweet memories of cookie baking and friendship, Miz Helen. I have never tasted those cookies, but by the ingredients, I know that I'd love them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. My aunt sent tins of these to us for Christmas when I was a kid. I've always wanted to make them, but just haven't. Somewhere I have a cookbook with many different versions. Thank you for reminding me of this cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a peppernut fan as well -- and I will have to try yours sometime. I love the Anise flavor of European Christmas cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these look so yummy and what a wonderful tradition!
    -- jackie @ jade and oak

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look so delicious. I love cookies that come with special memories. That is why I love baking for the holidays so much. I would be delighted if you would link this recipe up with my Recipe Writers: Christmas Cookie link up!

    http://www.sewmuch2say.com/2013/12/recipe-writers-christmas-cookie-link-up.html

    Amanda Rose

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Miz Helen! I loved reading about what these cookies mean to you and your friend. It is sweet that you still share cookie day. I'm not familiar with these cookies...have only seen the name. So I've learned something today. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look wonderful and what a nice story of tradition:) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute! And such a wonderful tradition to have with your friend. Thank you for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My aunt used to make these -- her husband was a first generation German American. And then we "discovered" them when we lived in Germany. It is so sweet that you and your friend share the cookies long distance! Wishing you a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's lovely to hear about the tradition you share every year with Pat and how your friendship has been strong for such a long time! Your Pfeffernusse sound delicious - they are a very traditional holiday cookie over here as we are so close to Europe. Thank you for sharing them with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop, Miz Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Making cookies with a dear friend each year is such a lovely holiday tradition ! Thank you so much for sharing your story and the little Pfeffernusse cookies with Tasty Tuesday. I am featuring your cookies this week. Hope you will drop by to grab the featured button and also share your lovely recipes with us.

    Wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays !

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look delish Miz. Helen :) Thank you so much for linking this recipe up at Recipe Sharing Monday! The new link party is up and I'd love to see you back. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look delicious and are very interesting. Some of the spicy/sweet flavors are similar to cookies from my husband's family. Their Pfeffernusse cookies were covered with powdered sugar and looked more like Mexican wedding cookies.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing at the great cookie exchange!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen