Slow Cooker Polish Sausage, Cabbage and Onions

We are on tour with Food Of The World, hosted by Diane at Simple Living and Eating.  This month we are visiting Poland.  When Diane announced the country the first thing I thought about were the Polish families that lived in our community when I was a young girl and all the fabulous food they made along with the wonderful stories they told about their homeland.  One of those families, a friend of our family, had a meat market and every week they made polish sausage.  I remember going to the market with my mother and watching them as they made the sausage. It was a real art form, with a rhythm that develops as each individual sausage was twisted into a long chain of sausages.  We would take the fresh sausage home and my mother would prepare it in several different ways, they were all very simple dishes but always delicious.  The recipe that I am presenting today has been developed through the years and has changed just a bit as the popular foods of our changing food culture have changed.  This is my favorite recipe for the sausage.

Slow Cooker Polish Sausage, Cabbage and Onions


Slow Cooker Polish Sausage, Cabbage and Onions
Miz Helen's Kitchen
Ingredients
8 Smoked Polish Sausage
4 medium yellow onions, sliced
3 cups cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
dash cayenne pepper
2 cups apple juice
1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
8 Hoagie Rolls, toasted with garlic butter
Directions
In a hot skillet, brown the polish sausage on all sides
Spray the Slow Cooker with non stick cooking spray
Mix the brown sugar, mustard, peppers, and apple juice together
Place the shredded cabbage in the bottom of the slow cooker and layer the onions on top
Pour 1/2 of the apple juice mix on top of the cabbage and onions
Place the browned sausage on top of the cabbage and onions
Pour the remainder of the apple juice mix over the sausage
Cook on high for 4 hours
Serve the sausage on a platter with the cabbage and onions as a side, or serve the sausage in a toasted Hoagie Bun, garnished with the onions and cabbage and topped off with grated cheese.
We like to toast our Hoagie Bun with garlic butter
 Print Recipe

This Smells So Good



Serve On A Platter


Sausage In A Basket with Fries of course!


This One Is Just For You


Enjoy!
I hope that you have enjoyed our visit to Poland, it sure brought back some great memories and flavors of my early childhood. Hope all of you have a great week, it is always fun to spend time with you.
Peace and Joy
New Linky Party Starts Sept 10th:
Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. So you think of sausage too when you think of Poland. Love this recipe. Thanks for being party of this linky Miz Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this slow cooker recipe - bookmarking this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun tour! This is a perfect chilly weather meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious Miz Helen! I especially like the idea of it on a toasted hoagie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, this recipe looks awesome! The next time we have Polish sausage, I'm going to try this method--never would have thought about using my Crock-Pot for this. Thanks for sharing, and I will happily be following your blog. Dee :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good! And it is a bonus that it can be done in the slow cooker (I LOVE my slow cooker!). Pinning this!

    I would love for you to come over and link up at Wine'd Down Wednesday if you get a chance. We party every week from Tuesday evening to late Friday night! Hope to see you there!
    http://www.dizzybusyandhungry.com/wined-wednesday-link-party-5/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Miz Helen! This is Debi from That Crafty Lunch Lady stopping by from the Foodtastic Friday party. This recipe looks really delicious, and as I'm trying to go gluten-free, I could make it work with out the bread. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it sure looks good, and I love your childhood story. I'm jealous about your culinary trip! It sounds so fun. Thanks for sharing on Weekend Potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, this sounds and looks amazing! Comfort food at it's best! Love me some polish sausage and cabbage! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yummy! My husband would just love this for dinner!
    Come link up with me and share!
    http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad we got everything figured out so you could share this on Foodtastic Friday!! Top 15!! You're amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Goodness Miz Helen, you have me wishing I was having this for lunch today. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I first saw this post with the first couple of pictures I was trying to decide whether or not it looked tasty. Then I saw your pictures of them on the buns and thought, "YUM! My hubby and I are going to love this." I can hardly to wait to make it. Do you think you could share this recipe post and any other great ones at our Making Monday link party? We would love it. Thanks. Have a fabulous day. http://www.abrightandbeautifullife.com/making-monday-9/

    Lori @ A Bright and Beautiful Life
    www.abrightandbeautifullife.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mouth is actually watering, Miz Helen! What delicious comfort food your Slow Cooker Polish Sausage, Cabbage and Onions is! It's absolutely perfect for the cooler weather. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul Hop,

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Helen, this sounds so good. This is perfect fall weather and I think we are heading that way soon.
    Thanks for linking to What'd You Do This Weekend.

    Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious, and the cabbage almost looks like spaghetti!

    Thanks for sharing at Wine’d Down Wednesday! Pinning your post to our WDW Pinterest board to share with our followers! Hope to see you back at the party next week!
    Kristin @ DizzyBusyandHungry.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness! Stopping over from Create it or Bake It Linky party and this looks awesome! I can't wait to give it a try!

    Katie @ ThisMommyCooksDinner.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen