Ziti Bake


We just love Ziti and this is a recipe that I have been making for years.  A friend had stopped by for dinner the other day and we were having this dish for dinner, after dinner she asked if she could have the recipe, guess what I didn't have it written down. Ziti Bake is a very flavorful Italian pasta casserole. The sauce for this Ziti has tiny little meatballs!  So this one is for all my friends who wanted the recipe, I  finally wrote it down, enjoy!

Ziti Bake at Miz Helen's' Country Cottage

Ziti Bake


Ziti Bake
Miz Helen's Kitchen
Ingredients
Serves 8 to 10
16 ounces dry Ziti Pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Italian Sausage Links
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups stewed tomatoes
3 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup pasta water
3 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons basil
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 cups Shredded Italian Style Cheese ( Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan, Romano, Fontina, Asiago mix)
Directions
For The Pasta
Cook Pasta in very salty water and about 9 minutes, retain 1/2 cup of the pasta water for the sauce, then drain and set aside
For The Sauce
Cut the link sausage in 1/2 inch pieces, (the pieces will look like little meat balls)
In a large very hot skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil then add the sausage pieces, cook the sausage until done and browned
Remove the sausage to a paper towel and drain leaving the oils in the skillet
Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and saute the onion
Add the stewed tomatoes,  the tomato sauce and the 1/2 cup pasta water to the onions and garlic
Add the browned sausage pieces to the tomato mixture and mix well
Add the oregano, basil, salt, pepper and fennel seeds mix well
Simmer the mixture for 20 to 30 minutes
Add the Ziti Pasta and mix well
You can serve the dish at this point or you can bake it
To Bake
Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with cooking spray
Pour the Ziti mixture into the baking dish
Add the cheese on top
Bake 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned on top
Garnish with Fresh Basil

Prepare The Sauce

Ziti Bake at Miz Helen's' Country Cottage

Add The Pasta

Ziti Bake at Miz Helen's' Country Cottage

Bake The Pasta

Ziti Bake at Miz Helen's' Country Cottage

Serve The Pasta

Ziti Bake at Miz Helen's' Country Cottage

Enjoy!
You stopped by on just the right night, hope you enjoyed your visit and the Ziti Bake.  Your visits are always very special to us, so take care and come back soon!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. I love baked ziti too, Helen, and this recipe looks delicious. It seems to have all of the ingredients that I use except I add black olives (something the owner of a local Italian market told me was a MUST). It's good either way. I also will sometimes swap out Italian sausage for pepperoni when I'm feeling a bit spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. warm comforting and hearty bake...loved this pasta dish...it looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds amazing! I make something similar..but I just use ground turkey. I would love to try it with the sausage.....yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ziti bake sound wonderful and I love that it has sausage. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family and I would love this dish (even if I used gluten-free ziti)! Thanks for sharing it with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family and I would love this dish (even if I used gluten-free ziti)! Thanks for sharing it with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made baked ziti last week as well -- it's such a good dish and yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing Miz Helen, my family would gobble it up. Thank you for sharing at Saturday Spotlight~ April @ Angels Homestead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been a bad Italian-American. I can't remember the last time I made a baked ziti. I think I may have to try your delicious recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like some good heart warming food! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely comforting fall casserole your Ziti Bake is, Miz Helen! I like that it is made with sausage and fennel sounds like a lovely addition too. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love baked ziti in my pasta loving house. Your version sounds delicious and I'll be trying it soon for sure. Thanks so much for linking up to last week's Weekend Potluck. Have a terrific rest of the week Miz Helen!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi and wow this looks and sounds amazing. I am always cooking italian food in my house and I will try out your recipe. Thanks for sharing it at table for 7.
    Julie @ julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm, this looks comfortingly wonderful! Thank you for sharing your Ziti at Simple Supper Tuesday. Have a great week, Miz Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great family meal! I love that you included sausage, yum! I would love for you to stop by and link up at Wine'd Down Wednesday, which just went live tonight. Hope to see you there! http://www.dizzybusyandhungry.com/wined-wednesday-link-party/
    Kristin from DizzyBusyandHungry.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Baked Ziti. My sister married an Italian man years ago and his mother made the best baked ziti. Thanks for the wonderful recipe Miz Helen. have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks delicious Miz Helen! Thanks for sharing at Share your Stuff Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love baked ziti! Thanks for sharing on WDW!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Quick and tasty. I love stuff like this because you can freeze what you have left and have a favorite meal anytime. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Miz Helen, this looks SO good! We love baked ziti here. In fact, we are going to be canning tomatoes tomorrow and do enough to last for a year of homemade sauce (we call it gravy, lol). Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/10/try-new-recipe-tuesday-october-8.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen