Slow Cooker Baked Pinto's

We love Pinto Beans and in some households in Texas Pinto's are a staple, and our cottage is sure one of those.  Usually we make our baked beans with Navy Beans, but I thought the other day why not make some baked beans from Pinto's, they were awesome.  The flavors in these Pinto's are wonderful and this will be a great side dish for any Covered Dish Dinner, a Picnic, Bar B Que or just to enjoy a good bowl of beans.

Slow Cooker Baked Pinto's

Ready For The Picnic

Slow Cooker Baked Pinto's at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

A Nice Bowl of Beans

Slow Cooker Baked Pinto's at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Slow Cooker Baked Pinto's
Miz Helen's Kitchen
Serves 12
Ingredients
2 cups dry pinto beans
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound bacon, cut in small pieces 
3/4 cup brown sugar 
1/2 cup ketchup 
2 tablespoons mustard
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions
Sort the dry beans taking out the bad beans and dirt, rinse the beans and pour them into a large bowl
Cover the beans with water, cover and let set over night to soak
Rinse the beans and pour them into a Slow Cooker
Cut the bacon into pieces and place in a hot skillet.  Cook the bacon until the bacon has begun to render the fat and then remove the bacon and put it in the Slow Cooker with the beans.
Saute the onions, garlic and peppers in the bacon fat and then pour into the Slow Cooker with the beans and bacon
In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne with 1/4 cup water, then pour into the Slow Cooker and mix well
Cover the bean mixture with just enough water to cover the beans with 1 inch over the beans
Cover the Slow Cooker and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours until the beans are tender
Be sure and check on the mixture from time to time to make sure there is enough liquid, if needed add more water a small amount at a time.
Print Recipe
Pin For Later


Ready To Cook

Slow Cooker Baked Pinto's at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
 Cover With Water

Slow Cooker Baked Pinto's at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Ready To Serve


Slow Cooker Baked Pinto's at Miz Helen's Country Cottage


This is one of those recipes that we will use over and over and sure hope that  you will enjoy it.  It sure was nice to spend time with you today and hope that you can come back to see us again real soon!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen 

Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. You are putting together my favorite summer picnic food, Helen. Fried chicken, baked beans, and bread and butter sandwiches. My grandmother made the best picnics.

    Have a great 4th of July!

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda @ Tumbleweed Conntessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could pin this on pinterest. Would it be possible for you to include pinterest links on your recipes. The recipes that I have tried from your posts have been new family favorites. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mommar6, here is a link to the instructions from Pinterest about putting the Pin button on a toolbar on your browser, much like your home button, etc.

      http://about.pinterest.com/goodies/#browser

      It is wonderful. No matter what site you are visiting, if you see something you like you can click on the "Pin It" button and it will bring up pics for you. Simply click and it will put it on your Pinterest page and will link you right back to the web site.

      Delete
    2. That was so easy. Thank you Rhonda

      Delete
    3. You are very welcome, happy to help. You are going to love that Pin It button. :)

      Delete
  3. That looks so good, I like the use of the Chile powder and cayenne powder, something different than the sweet beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very good, although without the bacon for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious! I love crockpot cooking!
    I have stopped eating bacon though..so I would leave it out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love pintos at my house also, or "soup beans" as we called them when I was growing up. As a matter of fact, one of my all-time favorite meals is a bowl of beans, cornbread, and a little onion. I sometimes fix either kraut and wieners, fried potatoes, or macaroni and tomato to go with it, but more often than not it is just beans and cornbread. I will definitely be trying your baked bean recipe with pintos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love me some beans and these sound great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Savory sweet - perfect for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anybody know how much this makes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I had had these today with my burgers! Such a great recipe! Hope you had a wonderful Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those photos are mouthwatering. This sounds like such a delicious dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm pinning these... we are a bean loving family and pintos have been neglected in my house. Thanks for sharing these with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing your yummy recipe with Saturday Spotlight. I love that you used a crock pot to cook them.
    Have a great weekend and hope to see you again soon!

    April
    Angels Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could have swore I commented on this post earlier... Thank you so much for sharing your yummy recipe with Saturday Spotlight. I love that they're cooked in a crock pot.
    Have a great weekend and hope to see you again soon!

    April
    Angels Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Miz Helen, these remind me of the beans my late Mom used to make! They look absolutely delicious. I don't know her recipe, but I know it had ketchup, mustard and brown sugar in it. I think this must be pretty close! I'm so pleased and grateful you shared this post with us at the Hearth and Soul hop! Have a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These beans look fabulous. I love that you are using dried beans. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look wonderful Miz Helen. I love the consistency and how thick the beans got. Terrific recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. perfect for a summer bbq..they look yummy! Thank you for linking up at Share Your Stuff Tuesdays Miz Helen! Hope to see you again next week :)
    Erin @ Table for 7

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Morning Miz Helen, I love the sound of these slow cooked pinto beans. I use a lot of dried beans in my cooking, but I have never used a slow cooker to cook beans.... so this is something new for me.
    I will be dusting off my slow cooker to make this recipe. Oh and I thought I would let you know, we thoroughly enjoyed your fried chicken recipe, my husband liked it so much that it is going to be a regular on our menu..... I have a feeling these pinto beans will be as well.
    Thank you for this lovely recipe,we are enjoying your Texas recipes here in England.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Best Wishes to you,
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen