Aunt Bluette's Spicy Peach Shortcake

Aunt Bluette is a southern character in Michael Lee West new Novel "A Teeny Bit of Trouble". I have made this Spicy Peach Shortcake because it is a dish that I think Aunt Bluette may have made and really enjoyed serving to all her southern friends and family.

Aunt Bluette's Spicy Peach Shortcake

Aunt Bluette's Spicy Peach Shortcake
Miz Helen's Kitchen
Spicy Peaches
2 1/2 cups Peaches, sliced
1/2 cup Peach Juice from the Peaches or 1/2 cup of water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (optional)
3 tablespoon Corn Starch mixed with 3/4 cup water
Peel the peaches and slice them. Place the peaches in a medium sauce pan with the liquid.  Add the sugar and all the spices and mix well.  Heat over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring the mixture. When the mixture come's to a boil pour the mixed Corn Starch into the peach mixture and remove from the heat, stir the mixture until it is thick. This can be served hot or cold. Can be used for Shortcake, on top of Ice Cream or as a fruit compote.

Shortcake
Miz Helen's Kitchen
3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter chilled and cut into small pieces
1 cup milk
1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder,and salt
With a pastry blender cut the butter into the flour mix until the mix resembles coarse meal.
Add milk and mix until dough holds together, adding more milk if needed
Turn the soft dough onto a floured surface and knead gently 8 to 10 times.  Pat it out about 3/4 inch thick and cut into rounds
Place on a greased baking sheet
Combine the egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush the top then sprinkle with sugar
Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 425 degrees
Split the Shortcake and serve warm with fruit

Spicy Peaches Mixed

I Use Real Butter

This Dough Is Light and Fluffy

Split The Shortcake and Add The Peaches

Sure Hope You Enjoy This Spicy Peach Shortcake!


I sure am glad that you stopped by today to have some Spicy Peach Shortcake. Your visits are always important to me so come back soon!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen 

 I have not received any compensation for this post, or views and  the recipes are from Miz Helen's Kitchen

Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. This looks amazing! I love your hummingbird mug :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd want MORE than a teeny bit of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This looks so delicious. I would be reading it about it today...I vowed to avoid sweets for a little while... I would have to rethink that vow if this was in my kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Miz Helen, I LOVE your spicy peach filling, with a touch of cayenne pepper you added to it...really scrumptious and delicious for the AWARD WINNING shortcakes you made. I also mad a strawberry shortcake on my previous post.
    Sorry, I haven't linked up in a few weeks with you or any one else...just have not had the energy, but I will link up Thursday!
    The books sounds great...too bad I'm so far away that I can't come to meet the author in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a wonderful treat! Fresh peaches and spices, sounds great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a feeling peach would be my favorite kind of shortcake. Peaches are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this looks yummy! Will have to give it a try soon. I've never thought to add cayenne pepper to peaches but I can imagine the flavor.

    BTW-I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award today. When you get a chance please stop by my blog to read all about it.

    Thanks
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delicious, I love peaches and so does my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Spicy Peach Shortcake looks & sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Gosh this looks like heaven! Please link this up to Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this recipe. I love shortcake and peaches! I cooked up Aunt Bluette's peach pie. Stop by and have a piece. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes! I'll have a big piece! It looks wonderful! I can't wait till the fresh peaches come to marketM
    Here from Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just dessert? I could eat this for breakfast and lunch and then dessert after supper! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Miz Helen, I'm so excited that you linked this up to Foodie Friday!! It is irresistible!! You're featured! http://www.notyourordinaryrecipes.com/2012/04/top-5-recipes-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the spices in your recipe, it gives it a boost of flavor. Thanks for joining Southern Sundays with this wonderful recipe! I'll be announcing the featured recipes next week. Hope to see you at the next party with another great item!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I never would have thought to add cayenne to the peach filling! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely dessert. I love the Teeny books and I think an Aunt Bluette recipe would have just a tiny bit of "bite" to it. Delicious idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks divine! I love Teeny and her trouble, lol. Michael is such a wonderful author! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your peach shortcake looks so yummy that I'd love to sit and enjoy it with you! I never would have thought to add the pepper, so I'd love to make this recipe just to see what that tastes like. Thanks for sharing at Your Cozy Home Party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Teeny! She's such a great character. Your spicy peach shortcake sounds just like something Aunt Bluette would love - I know I would! I like the addition of the cayenne pepper to the peaches. What a lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks like such a wonderful Spring dessert, I hope you are sharing this with us on Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This recipe really does say "The South" I see ladies sitting around fanning themselves and gossiping while they nibble on this luscious dessert. Thanks so much for sharing it on Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love a good book...that coupled with your spicy peach shortcake sounds heavenly. I love the spicy part, I want to try this! Great pics too. Thanks so much for sharing at the Rock N Share!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Saw this on Weekend Potluck! Love it and can't wait for July so I can try it with fresh Oklahoma peaches. So new and different. And I love the name! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just wanted you to know that I am featuring this scrumptious dessert on my Foodie Friday Party tomorrow. Please grab a Featured button and thank you for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just "pinned", and google +this recipe. Thanks Miz Helen for sharing again, I have been on long bloggy break and am just now seeing, I want to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen