The White Cake


My husband Leonard says, when he was growing up and he,  his brother and sisters would come home from school and if the Cake Plate and Cover was sitting out on the counter he knew that there would be a white cake with white frosting under the Cover. When his Mother passed away one of the things that he asked for was the Cake Plate and Cover. I just love to surprise him from time to time with a White Cake with White Frosting which is one of his favorites, and I always put it on his Mother's Cake Plate and Cover it. When he comes in the door and see's it sitting there he always says "alright it's The White Cake"!




With White Frosting



Just Help Yourself


How About Some Strawberries On Top



The White Cake
Miz Helen's Kitchen
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup milk
5 egg whites
Grease and lightly flour two 9 inch cake pans
Combine flour, baking powder and salt. In a mixer bowl with the electric mixer beat the shortening for 30 seconds, add the sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add the dry ingredients and alternate with the milk. Beat on low after each addition. In another mixer bowl with clean beaters beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into flour mixture. Pour into prepared cake pans.Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until cake test done. Cool on wire racks before frosting.

Butter Frosting
Miz Helen's Kitchen
6 tablespoons real butter
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
In a small mixer bowl beat butter till light and fluffy. Gradually add about half of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in the milk and the vanilla Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. If necessary to make frosting more spreadable, add small amounts of milk to thin to needed consistency . Frost the cooled cake.
Print Recipe


 Enjoy!

I sure hope that you have enjoyed The White Cake surprise as much as my husband does. What memories are you making with your family, I hope you are making a very special one today, a treasure that can never be replaced. Thanks for coming by and having cake and coffee with us today, we always love your visits. Hurry back to see us soon!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen

Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. What a lovely tradition to keep. I wouldn't be able to help myself from peeking under either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I really needed a good white cake recipe and the icing is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, nothing like a white cake, especially when it's a really good recipe. Then, it's sensational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite cake is also white with white frosting. How lovely that you're able to use his Mother's cake plate. I hope you're having a great week Miz Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum yum, Miz Helen! My mom had a cake cover just like that. I wonder whatever happened to that. hmmmm.... good memories, anyway! Like your husband, I knew that good stuff was under there when she brought it out. Sometimes it was even white cake with white icing. Thanks for the recipe and the memories! Have a great week, Candace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whitecake with white frosting looks fabulous.Always childhood favorite are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this post! Food memories are the best. When I smell certain things baking (especially bread and pie), I remember my childhood so clearly. It brings me back to a simple, safe and sweet time in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so very sweet and lovely, the cake is beautiful! Love memories like this, it makes us appreciate our loved ones more! Thank you for sharing this lovely post, Miz Helen! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely story! Wonderful looking and I bet tasty cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There s nothng quite so fabulous than a homemade cake :), that's a beautiful cake plate! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miz Helen- What a special story! I just love it when food has such special connections to our childhood. That is wonderful that your husband has his mother's cake plate and cover now. I think it is so sweet that you make the white cake for him these days :) I'd love for you to stop in and share this special story and recipe today at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight. Have a blessed day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this same cake carrier. And....a white cake with white icing is my favorite dessert ever. Not joking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that cake looks so good! Enjoyed your blog as always... : ) Bless You Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the exact same cake cover. It was my Mom's. Her sisters (6 of them)gave her this as a wedding shower gift. It was 1944. It always sat on top of our refrigerator.....and that is where it still sets...on top of my refrigerator. Isn't is wonderful what a simple piece can bring back such great memories!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I remember those homemade white cakes and brown cookies. Thanks for sharing the recipe here. I'm a foodie too and your newest follower from the blog hop. I hope you'll come visit and follow me too. Us foodies should stickk together, smiles. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will have to try this cake. I am always looking for the perfect old fashion white cake and i think your looks a lot like that.

    Mely

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love basic recipes like this. I think they're the cornerstone of being a great baker. I'm definitely adding this to my recipe collection. I'd love it if you would share your recipe at A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet story :) And a delicious looking cake! I'd love for you to link up to my sweet treats party today! Hope to see you there :)
    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an awesome tradition! :-)

    Thanks for linking to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS! Tomorrow we post the TOP CLICKED recipe, make sure to come by and take a look. Today we opened this week's theme "30 MINUTE MEALS". We hope you stop back by and link up again! Happy Blogging!

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/search/label/THIS%20WEEKS%20CRAVINGS

    ReplyDelete
  20. Miz Helen, I was over here checking out your Surprise Bundt Cake, and a thumbnail of The Family Cake Plate and Cover caught my eye. I love this story, and there's nothing quite like a good white cake.

    I'm pinning this to make sure I have it handy! :)

    Love, Joy @ Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow i'm a very new cook and just got married also,soooo i was looking on line and some how got you're blog. Your recipes are womderful an i intend to try many. could you please add the size of the baking dish and etc. this would be great help to all newbie cooks.
    Thanks for such good recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mkkiki,
      I am so glad that you found my blog and that you will be trying some of the recipes. This white cake recipe calls for two 9 inch cake pans. This is a great basic white cake that I hope you enjoy!
      Miz Helen

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen