Whats For Dinner Next Week: Southwest Tilapia Chowder

Spring is really here everything is getting green and all the spring plants are in bloom. What a beautiful day for you to take a drive to the country. We are just having our coffee out here on the patio so come on back and join us. The other day Sno White of  Finding Joy In My Kitchen stopped by and asked me how many people I cooked for every week. Usually it's just me and Honey Bunny, but a lot of the time someone just drops by about meal time, because they know I can always fill an extra plate at my table. On holidays it is not unusual to have 30 or more.In the summer on week ends when family and friends are coming to the lake, it could be from 4 to 40.  My leftovers are planned and we either have them the next day for lunch or it goes in the freezer. I make up freezer meals for my husband, so when he works outside the home, he just grabs a dinner  from the freezer and he is set.  Well you know me I just go on and on, we better get to that menu.




Feature Recipe
 Southwest Tilapia Chowder



Add The Fresh Herbs and Onions


Chop Chop Chop



New Red Potatoes Skin On



Season The Tilapia



Saute the Goodness



Add The Liquid


Enjoy!

Southwest Tilapia Chowder
Miz Helen's Kitchen
5 to 6 medium Tilapia Fillets chopped in 1 inch cubes
1 large onion chopped
5 to 6 small new red potatoes skin on
6 slices bacon rendered or salt pork
1 cup green chili's chopped
3 garlic pods chopped
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
11/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cups half and half
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
Garnish with fresh cilantro
Wash, chop and par boil the potatoes about 10 minutes and set aside
Mix the chili powder,cumin,salt, pepper, red pepper flakes together in a small bowl
Sprinkle front and back of the Tilipia with 3/4 of the season mix  then chop and set aside
Saute the  bacon or salt pork add the onion and garlic then remove the onion and garlic to a small bowl
Lightly saute and simmer the Tilpia and potatoes in the bacon  or salt pork fat about 10 minutes
Add back to the pot the onion, bacon or salt pork and the remainder of the seasons mix well
Stir in 1/2 of the cilantro and add the milk, heat the mixture just to boil, do not allow to boil or the milk will separate. Add the butter and simmer until ready to serve. Garnish with cilantro
Recipe Tip
Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, salsa, or jack cheese and serve with tortilla's
Print Recipe

The Menu



Sunday
Maple Glazed Lamb Chops
Fresh Spinach Saute
Herbed Finger Potatoes
Cottage Bread
Fresh Berry Shortcake

Monday
Slow Cooker
Seasoned Oven Fries
Cole Slaw
Corn Bread

Tuesday
From
Left Over Pinto Beans
Green Mexican Salad
Homemade Tortillas
Salsa
Left Over Apple Pie
with
Cinnamon Ice Cream

Wednesday
Pork Tender Fillets
with 
Mushroom Sauce
Seasoned Sweet Potato Mash
Broccoli with Lemon Sauce
Sour Dough Buns
Pumpkin Pudding
with
Berries

Thursday
Stuffed Rainbow Peppers
Scalloped Corn
Green Tossed Salad
Sour Dough Buns
Chocolate Chip Cookies 
With
Blue Bell

Friday
Feature Recipe
 Southwest Tilapia Chowder
Tortilla's
Key Lime Pie Tart

Saturday
From
Full Plate Thursday

Taffy Apple Salad   Toni at TNT Cook
Boil Er Up Ribs Mrs. V at Mrs. Pizza Head
Everyday Bread  Paula at Fletchington Farms
Ice Candy Cristina at Pinay in Texas Cooking

I sure am glad you came to spend the day in the country with us we always look forward to your visits.
Hope to see you at Full Plate Thursday!
Peace and Joy




































Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content and images as well! Thanks for sharing this! Looks delicious...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Miz Helen, this looks delicious! Wish I could join your dinner table for this! The ingredients sounds so flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cumin and chiles with the fish sounds like a winning combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at chowder :) I love chowders, and this one looks just simply amazing. I love the addition of tilapia. I am definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    Angie @ Cocina Diary

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, Miz Helen. A little bit of this would totally make me feel better...but I don't think I could just eat a little.

    BTW - your blog has jumped in rankings. Thought you might want to know.

    Much love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for some delicious ways to add more fish to my menu. This looks fantastic and I love the southwest flavors! Thanks for sharing this with us on The Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this I was looking for a new way to cook Tilapia I knew I could count on you please link up with me today if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That chowder looks so flavorful (and colorful)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really good! I'm sure my husband would love it! Unfortunately I can't eat dairy, so I wonder how it would taste with some kind of milk substitute. Probably really weird, but it might be worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Withoutadornment,
    I think that this would be delicious with Coconut Milk and you could use a little corn starch to thicken it if you want it to be thicker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Miz Helen ;)
    Your chowder looks and sounds fantastic. I can almost smell it simmering. I love the idea of using tilapia and would never have thought it was firm enough to be able to hold up in a chowder....lovely.

    Thanks for sharing at Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miz Helen,
    You do not know how many times I visit a linky party, pick out a recipe that looks good, click on it and land here! You are full of yummy ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious. I am always looking for ways to get my family to eat more fish and I think this might be a great recipe to try out.

    I found you on the What's on the Menu Linky Party and i so glad I did.

    Looking forward to more posts.

    Elizabeth @ http://ithappensatdinner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Miz Helen,

    This soup looks so good! I'll have to try it with a little less chili to see if my husband will like it, too. He's not from Texas like me ;-)

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kind of chowder! I think I really need to try this. Have never made chowder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen