Turnip Casserole

I recently took these Turnips out of the winter garden and they were so beautiful I wanted to create a special dish for them. So this is the recipe that I developed for my prize Turnips. You will never know that Turnips are the base for this casserole. This is one of those casseroles that has a wonderful flavor surprise. I sure hope you enjoy this dish.
 The Winter Garden and Spring Seeds


Turnip Casserole at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Prize Turnips From The Winter Garden

Turnip Casserole at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

They Smell So Fresh

Turnip Casserole at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Brown The Bacon

Turnip Casserole at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Chop And Season All The Vegetables And Fruit

Turnip Casserole at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Bake and Enjoy!

Turnip Casserole
Miz Helen's Kitchen
2 very large or 4 small Turnips
1 large yellow onion chopped
4 cloves garlic sliced
4 cups carrots sliced round
2 Granny Smith Apples
4 slices bacon chopped
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons dried sweet basil
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup apple juice
Chop the turnips, onions, garlic, carrots, and apples.
Season the vegetables and fruit with the salt, pepper, basil and nutmeg
Chop the bacon and brown it in a heavy dutch oven then remove the bacon from the dutch oven
Pour all the seasoned vegetables and fruit in the dutch oven and saute, just til the bottom vegetables begin to brown
Pour the chicken broth and the apple juice over the vegetables and fruit and add the bacon back in, mix well, Cover the Dutch Oven
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is reduced
Recipe Tip:
This dish was delicious hot and we had it the next day cold as a salad and we just loved it.

I sure am happy that you could enjoy some of our garden vegetables with us today. Hope you have a great week and hope to see you soon!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen





















Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. Those turnips are super special - literally from ground to table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful! I have a question....you had visited my blog and invited me to bring a dish Thursday. Can you please tell me how you do this. I saw it on your blog and appreciate you including me! Lauree from www.thesolbergseries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauree,
    Just copy your recipe and picture and bring it over and link it up. We will be looking forward to seeing you on Thursday at Full Plate Thursday. I also left you a message on your blog.
    Have a great day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I have never tried turnips, this looks amazing and just the right dish for me to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turnips are one of my favorite vegetables. I can hardly wait to try this, it wounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was admiring some locally grown turnips at the farmers market this past weekend, but I didn't buy them, as I couldn't come up with anything to make with them. I've only cooked with turnips a handful of times, and really, only used them in stew. But this sounds lovely. Might just have to pick them up next time I'm there and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been a huge turnip fan as my parents usually had them plain or raw growing up, but all the different and tasty sounding flavours in this casserole make me want to try it! Plus, anything with bacon has to be good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting our blog! I am now following! Love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love turnips, and fresh one have no words, loved this casserole, must be a delightful one....cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom always mashed cooked turnip in with our mashed potatoes and I love it that way also. I think I might try this recipe. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for your friendly comment :) I'll be sure to stop by again and hopefully I'll be able to submit some more recipes!

    Thanks again!
    Kerri

    http://kerriandherblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank for dropping by the Whimsical Wife. What a lovely warming winter dish. I will have to give it a go once the weather becomes cooler here in Aussie Land

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your turnips are gorgeous! Wow, I can imagine how delicious your turnip casserole is! Homegrown always taste the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds wonderful - I love that you have used fruit in it too - yum! What a fantastic way to serve turnip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Helen this looks delicious. I will be trying tho I have no prize turnips......

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Miz Helen, what a beautiful thing! What a joy to see those beauties. And turnip casserole, I've never even contemplated such a thing! Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the time I was growing up, my mother tried to get me to eat (and like) turnips. They were so bitter to me, I just didn't care for them...but love turnip greens. I may give this recipe a try as it really sounds very good. Wonder why the turnips from my childhood were bitter??
    I have my post up to play in your Thursday meme. See ya later tonight. :))
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds and looks delicious! I'm printing to have on hand. Thanks for hosting this hop; I've found soume great recipes here! ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the kind of dish that my parents would love. They are the biggest turnip fans I know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea for turnips! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for linking up your recipe to THIS WEEKS CRAVINGS (please remember to add us to your friends list for a link back to the party)! This is gonna be a fun week, seeing what "secret ingredient" people hide in their recipes!

    Just a "sneak peak" for next week, the theme is "HUBBY COOKS". So, we hope to see you again next Monday (and maybe if you don't already have a husband that cooks, you can talk him into making you dinner this week... that's what I have to do!)

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/search/label/THIS%20WEEKS%20CRAVINGS

    ReplyDelete
  22. I usually do not care for turnips but this recipe is simply delicious and I will be making again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen