Bread Pudding



Bread Pudding (Cajun) at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Just in time for Fat Tuesday this is a wonderful Bread Pudding that came out of Cajun country and Miz Helen's Kitchen Table Cookbook. I sure hope you enjoy it. This recipe has been in our family for many years and was handed down from generation to generation, it is a very rich dessert and one that is a hit every time!




Bread Pudding
Starting With A Day Old French Bread

Bread Pudding (Cajun) at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Cube The French Bread
Then Soak It With Some Very Rich Sauce

Bread Pudding (Cajun) at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Add The Liquid and The Raisins

Bread Pudding (Cajun) at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Let It Soak

Bread Pudding (Cajun) at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Baked And Ready To Enjoy

Bread Pudding (Cajun) at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

Enjoy!
Bread Pudding
Adapted from Miz Helen's Kitchen Table Cookbook
Prepared in Miz Helen's Kitchen
The Pudding Base
1 -1 pound loaf French Bread, 1 to 2 days old
end pieces removed, cubed into 1/2 inch cubes
The Liquid Pudding
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
1 quart whole milk
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 teaspoon vanilla
The Pan Dressing
1/4 cup soft unsalted butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
The Sauce
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
The Method
In a small bowl cream the butter and powdered sugar for the pan dressing.
Generously coat sides and bottom of 9X13 glass cake pan with half the butter and sugar mixture.
Reserve remaining portion, and place the pan in the refrigerator or cool place.
In a large bowl mix sugar cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, eggs and egg yolks with a wire whip.
Add the milk and raisins and stir until thoroughly combined.
Add the bread cubes gently pushing them down into the milk mixture. Do not squeeze. Let soak 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
Pour into prepared pan and pat down.
Gently push raisins into mixture so they will not burn
In a small pan over low heat melt remaining sugar and butter mixture in reserve.
Pour on top of the Pudding mixture. Place the pan on a cookie sheet in the oven
Bake 325 degrees 45 to 50 minutes
For the sauce
Combine butter, sugar and cream bring to boil over medium heat and remove from heat and serve on the side or on top for garnish
Print Recipe

I hope that you enjoy this wonderful Cajun dessert and your Mardi Gras!

We will be looking forward to seeing you at Full Plate Thursday!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen


















Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. My husband loves bread pudding! My dad used to make it for us a lot when we first got married! I would love to try and impress him with your recipe! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, this brings back memories because I used to make bread pudding all the time (and I mean all the time) when my husband and I were first married almost 30 years ago. I think it's time to make it again. Love your sauce for the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miz Helen, bread pudding is comfort food for me and I haven't had it in a loooong time. Yours looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bread pudding looks mighty tasty and that sauce is perfect for taking it up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should really try making bread pudding one of these days! Yours look absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like the perfect Mardi Gras treat...fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bread Pudding is one of my favorites. This looks wonderful. Perfect for Fat Tuesday. I'll see you for Full Plate Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe is definitely a must try for me. Specially the sauce. It looks so rich.

    I never try to make a bread pudding with this kind of sauce.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had bread pudding in years! I think I'll have to change that this week! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bread pudding is the best! I definitely don't have it enough. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my that looks good! I've never made, nor had bread pudding...but I think I need to change that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Now that's a melt in your mouth recipe! Thanks for stopping by to comment on my blog!! I am a new follower, glad to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bread pudding just isn't complete without a great sauce. Yours is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every time I see bread pudding it reminds me of my "Pappy". My grandfather grew up with very little as a boy, but once in a great while his mom would make bread pudding to use up bread scraps, so it was always his favorite dessert. Thanks for the memories, Miz Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks wonderfully decadent. I love a good bread pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I will definitely link up on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delightful and TIMELY (Mardi Gras, Louisiana) recipe for this delicious bread pudding! Found your lovely blog on a blog hop today and now following; I hope you choose to stop by my blog as well, possibly follow if you like, and even join in my weekend blog hop! Blessings, Roz at la bella vita!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Miz Helen,
    Thank you for adding this recipe to Melt in Your Mouth Monday! I have never made bread pudding before and I can't figure out why. This looks so good! It is now on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow me if you want too.

    God bless you :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks amazing! New to your blog and love it!

    I grew up in East Texas! Miss my TEXAS!

    Susan www.ugogrrl.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy!! This looks soo super tasty. I will be trying this one from the cookbook!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a really fantastic looking pudding! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks sinfully delicious! Oh, that "gravy"...so good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh boy...just when I decide to give up white bread I find this! I guess one more day of white bread won't hurt! This looks too good to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. After I had a baby, a friend brought our family a meal plus bread pudding with a sauce dizzled on top and I loved it! It was the only time I had ever tried bread pudding....so glad to have the recipe. And glad you posted this on the blog hop--I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds and looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a delightful treat..great recipe!


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  28. Boy, I have a bread pudding story to tell you! Thanks so much for linking up. I really appreciate it. See you Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your bread pudding looks sinfully delicious and the sauce is over-the-top! I feel like making it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ohhhh, one of my all-time favourite comfort desserts. My mother used to make this out of old bread that had gone a little hard. Will definitely have to try out this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Miz Helen, that looks so mouthwatering. I can just taste the sauce all over the moist sweet pudding.

    Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe on Foodie Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a lovely treat ... bread pudding is so humble yet so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've never made bread pudding, but this sounds wonderful.

    Thanks for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well, I am so tempted to make this tonight. That looks delicious! I have never tried it before...I mean cooking one. I have eaten my share...ha.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I can't wait to try this! I love Bread Pudding!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Mmmm, that bread pudding looks so yummy. Thanks for linking up to Fat Camp Friday! Hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I was born and raised in New Orleans. I've been making my grandmother's Bread Pudding recipe for many years, and have tasted quite a few others BUT, this one is the BEST YET! I made this Bread Pudding yesterday and it is truly amazing! I LOVE the sauce that lays over the top of the warm pudding. Now I have something new to teach my sisters about making Bread Pudding! Thank you Miz Helen for sharing your gifts :-)
    Miz Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for linking up in my Carnival link up! We love bread pudding! I gave your post a pin on Pinterest! Yuuummmmyy :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, Miz Helen, I love bread pudding & this sounds especially yummy with a pan dressing & a sauce!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen