Cream Puffs

The cream puffs are one of Leonard's favorite desserts and today I am making them to surprise him.  We will be having some friends over later in the day so he gets the first bites of part of the desserts we will be serving tonight.  I have been making these cream puffs for years and it is a great recipe that never fails, plus you can use any filling you want to make them just a little different.  I know that my guy will love these and sure hope you will.




Cream Puffs
Miz Helen's Kitchen
Ingredients
1 cup water, boiling
1/2 cup butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
Directions
Put water in a saucepan, and as it boils add butter.
Continue heating until butter is melted.
Add flour and salt all at once. Stir until dough forms a ball.
Remove from heat.
Add 1 egg, beat, let stand 5 minutes.
Add remaining eggs one egg at a time, beating after each addition.
Let stand 10 minutes.
Drop on ungreased baking sheet by level teaspoonfuls for small puffs 2 inches apart.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
The surest way to test is to remove one, and if it collapses, it is not done.
When cold, split and fill.
My baking tips: I loaded the dough into a gallon size zip lock bag. Cut the end off and piped the dough onto the cookie sheet.
Print Recipe

Vanilla Cream Custard
Miz Helens Kitchen
Ingrediens
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
Directions
Cream sugar, flour, salt, egg yolks.
Add the milk.
Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick.
Add butter and vanilla.
Place a piece of clear plastic wrap on top of the custard and place in the refrigerator until it cools.
Recipe Tips
If you are using the custard for puffs, load the cooled custard into a piping bag or a large plastic bag and pipe into the puffs.
Print Recipe

Stir Until The Dough Forms A Ball


Beat One Egg At A Time


Pipe The Puffs On To The Sheet



Bake The Puffs


Let Cool Before Filling


I filled the puffs with a Vanilla Cream Custard which is 
my husband's favorite.



Load The Custard Into The Bag


Pipe The Custard Into The Puffs


All Ready To Serve



Close Your Eyes...Take a bite...Surprise!
Enjoy!

I sometimes fill the puffs with different fillings. One of my favorites is my Ham Salad Puffs.  I enjoyed sharing Leonard's surprise with you and I hope you are having a wonderful week end!
Peace and Joy
Miz Helen










Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. Hey Dad....seriously are you cheating on me here!!!!!!

    Well you held out for a long time and since you live with one of the best cooks/bakers in the world I don't feel tooo bad.

    This is a fantastic recipe been making it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cream puffs looks wonderful. My kids love cream puffs. Never tried making these before, we usually buy these from the bakery. Their favourite is vanilla fresh cream filling and they love it cold, right from the refrigerator! Would love to try making these myself. Thanks for sharing, Miz Helen, Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fabulous! I will certainly be making these. I have "Helen Corbitt's Cook Book", which was her first one, published in 1957. I dearly love it. She was certainly a lady chef way before her time. Thank you so much for sharing this. I hope you will post more recipes from her cook book.

    I think I might fill mine with Lemon Curd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making cream puffs!! I can't help but pop one or two of them in my mouth hot out of the oven. Would love to have one or two of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen....1974! That doesn't make it "old":0) I graduated high school in 1977. Thanks for the great recipe. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so can't wait until the holidays are over so people can start posting healthy recipes again! You're killing me here! These look so wonderful, I think I could eat like 30!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The creme puffs look delicious!Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cream puffs are one of my favorite desserts but one I never make. These look so delicious. After the holidays I think I will give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am waiting for that ham salad. Your cream puffs look wonderful. I've made them once myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy!!! Those sure do look good! I remember trying to help Mom make those for Papa when we'd come for summer visits! Maybe I'll attempt them here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tried making cream puffs. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miz Helen, what a great post, involving the whole family! Loved the first comment! These look great and would be fun to make as well. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could easily just pop all these lovely cream puffs into my mouth and devour them all! I love the different filling ideas, I never would have thought of ham salad or cavier! Thank you so much for sharing your cream puffs with Cookbook Sundays. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! what a great post... your cream puffs look so yummy... I like your space.. following you

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look really good. I've tried making them once, unsuccessfully I must say, perhaps I should give them another go.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so talented! That looks like a delicate recipe. I might try it sometime when our daughter & her family are visiting. Maybe she and I could make them together, although we would have lots of interruptions from their three year old and 20 month old. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful looking. I think tried and true recipes from older cookbooks are comforting to turn to again and again. Love the picture of your husband eating them. :)

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look amazing. I've made cream puffs before, but I've never tried making homemade filling. Actually, cream puffs are my husbands favorite dessert, so I will try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not surprised you had a cookbook published
    you are awesome and thanks for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the close your eyes part :).

    Merry Christmas to you and your family also!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your cream puffs look wonderful. I know my family would love these. I am going to have to save your recipe for a special occassion. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. how fantastic! i love cream puffs..and have used them for savory fillings too..i make a tarragon chicken salad sometimes...and pipe the pate choux into a ring...it is great for ladies luncheons. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to make these cream puffs soon. A friend's mom used to make them for us when we were young and I've never tried making them myself. Oh how I've missed them. Thanks for the great recipe and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen