We had a wonderful Butternut Squash production this year. We have every size and I am excited about creating recipes using my Butternut Squash from our garden.
- To prepare the Butternut Squash. Slice down the center of the Squash and remove the seeds.
- Wrap the Squash half in plastic wrap and place in the micro wave for 8 minutes for a large Squash.
- Leave the plastic wrap on until the squash is cool enough to handle.
- Scoop the cooled Squash out with a spoon.
- Puree in a food processor or blender
Spicy Butternut Bread
Makes 1 Large Loaves or 6 Mini Loaves
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar or 3/4 cups Agave Nectar
1 1/2 cups flour AP or GF
if you are using Agave:
1 3/4 cups flour AP or GF
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper(or to taste)
2 cups butternut squash puree
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
- Cream butter and sugar together until smooth add eggs one at a time beating after each one.
- Combine flour and next six ingredients add to butter and sugar mixture alternating with squash puree, beginning with and ending with flour. Stir in vanilla and nuts.
- For 1 large loaf bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour
- For 6 mini loaves bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour
The recipe was doubled for this photo
As I was developing this recipe I wanted it to have the taste of the butternut and yet be able to taste the layers of the other spice. This is a very moist bread and the longer it sits the better it gets. Of course you can dress it up a bit with a little dollop of cream and a sprig of mint. We just ate it straight from the oven. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Don't forget to enter your Chili in the Texas Star Chili Cook Off. We have some great Chili so come on over and check it out...Texas Star Chili Cook Off
I am so glad that you could come by and have tea with me today. Please come back to see me soon. I really look forward to your visits.
Peace and Joy
This Post is Linked To:
Whats For Dinner Next Week
Countdown to 2011
Holiday Recipe Exchange
Recipe Swap Thursday
Hungry Recipe Swap Sundays
Whats On The Menu Wednesday
Gold Star Wednesday
Whatcha Makin Wednesdays
Tuesday At The Table
Hearth and Soul Hop
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday