Tutorial-Tail Gate Chicken

We have a large family, so I am always looking for a way to stretch my food dollars . One of the things that really helps on the food bill is learning to cut up your own chicken. I especially like to cut up my own Chicken 
so I can package it for backyard grilling, oven baking, or for this time of the year "tailgate" parties.
It is very important to wash your chicken really well inside and out.
First cut out the back bone. I like to use a pair of Kitchen Shears.
I always save the back bone and the neck in the freezer until I get several then I use them to make a really good stock.
Turn the Chicken over and press down on the center and it will flatten out. It can go to the grill like this.
Make a clean cut right down the middle of the breast.

Now you have two nice halves that are ready to marinate and get ready for the grill.
If I am going to cook the chicken in single pieces I continue to trim the legs, thighs, and wings from the chicken.
Now lets clean up, wash and clean with hot water and soap the counter, cutting board, all tools, sink, and your hands. I use an Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner.

 Lemon and Orange Marinade
In a large zip lock bag combine the following:
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 medium orange sliced
1 medium lemon sliced
2 teaspoon fresh Rosemary
2 teaspoon fresh Thyme
2 cloves garlic chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
Place 2 chicken halves in the marinade
This freezes really well 
or
Is ready for the grill in 4 hours
If you are preparing for a "tailgate party" or camp out
The frozen Chicken in marinade is great to take to any outdoor function
It will stay cold until you are ready to fire up the grill

I know you can learn to do this, just think of all the money you will save! Let me know if you  try this...

Peace and Joy













Miz Helen
Miz Helen

Cookbook Author, Recipe Developer, Organic Gardner.


Comments

  1. Very clear instructions on what can be an intimidating task -- thanks!

    Pat
    www.elegantlyglutenfree.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I taught my Neighborhood Circle group about using whole chickens there was not a one in the group who had ever done it. I am sure that many will love seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you come to my house and do it for me? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, it's invaluable to know how to break down a chicken...you can save so much money that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the instructions but I hate touching raw chicken! I put up with it but I have to hum and try to tell myself that I am not really doing it!! I got that squeamish feeling just looking at your picture! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! I remember when I was in my late teens, it was an all-girls night with some college girlfriends, and they were preparing to cook curry chicken for me as I was their guest. I was wandering why they have not started to cook the curry as it was almost close to dinner time, apparently none of them have the courage to touch and cut up a raw chicken! And they are too embarass to admit that and were waiting for each other to do it! In the end, I have to do it and cook the curry as well! This is one of the sweet memories that always brings a smile, and all because of a chicken! Thanks Miz Helen, for reminding me of this! ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this tutorial. I've always cut up chickens with a knife, but hated the process. This looks way easier, and I have a great pair of kitchen shears to work with.

    Also, to get the skin off of chicken drumsticks, use a pair of pliers - they work great!

    To Debi Does Dinner Healthy: get some rubber gloves! I also don't like to hold raw chicken, but can manage when I wear gloves. I get the more form-fitting ones (like Dr's latex gloves).

    ReplyDelete
  8. So that is what my kitchen shears are for! I've been meaning to learn how to cut up a chicken. It's been a mental goal for a while now. I really appreciate the pictures. I wish you would also include pictures on how to separate the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my blog, Miz Helen!
    Excellent step by step pictures. Very informative.
    Also, I like the way you think...saving the neck and backbone for stock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to look for whole fryers, this needs to be made! Thanks so much Miz Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up to Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table. Feel free to link up anytime!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your visit has been very special. I look forward to your comments, they are like opening little gifts. Thank you for stopping by and hurry back!
Miz Helen